Saturday, March 30, 2013

Longing for the Real

May I have your attention please?  May I have your attention please? For some reason over the last few weeks, I have been reminded of the Eminem song entitled, The Real Slim Shady.  The song was not  included on the original copy of The Marshall Mathers LP before its release.  Eminem, Dr. Dre and Tommy Coster wrote The Real Slim Shady just hours before the final copy of the album was due. The song is a critique of manufactured pop songs that were being churned out at the time.  So, what does that have to do with me, a white, middle-aged woman who had never even listened to the entire song?  Well for me, the question of realness is not about manufactured pop music and its artists, but about  manufactured relationships people have especially those with God.  

I have felt over the years that people who call themselves believers have no idea what a real relationship with God is all about.  They could not recognize Him if He was right before them.  Often times, the Real Slim Shady (if you will allow me to use that term) goes unnoticed while the popular school of thought  regarding God and religion are often embraced as absolute truth.  I feel that I can say this because I am one of those who has had trouble and continues to have trouble separating the work from the relationship, the means from the meaning, as well as, keeping my focus on the Giver and not the gift.  In other words, I have been guilty of not being able to recognize the Realness of God.

The song's Real Slim Shady is a reference to the alter-ego of Eminem, Slim Shady.  Webster defines an alter-ego as a counterpart; something that makes something else complete.  With that said, we have spent far too long with our alter-egos being tied to religious acts, church traditions and/or rituals, church...in and of itself, spiritual disciplines, church ordinances, religious sacraments, etc... Our counterpart is Jesus; not Jesus along with any of those things fore mentioned or any other additional actions.  Please do not misunderstand me. I am not saying that any of these things are wrong or that we should not practice those traditions and ordinances ground in Scripture, but what I am saying is that we cannot be mistaken about Who our true counterpart is.  

It is Jesus and Him alone that completes us.  Due to my nature to want to control things, I often try to replace Him with other counterparts that allow me more say and control of the situation.  Over the years, I have used the church to be my counterpart.  By church, I mean just that...the church.  I am 43 years old, and I have never been without a church affiliation....ever.  With that said, I have been affiliated with some great churches: my home church--Millville Baptist Church, our Chicagoland church--Calvary Memorial, our Virginia based church--Purcellville Baptist Church, and our new church family Vintage of NOLA. However, if I am placing my hope and faith in the church...I am missing the Realness that is there for me.

Just recently, I was struggling with the politics of the church.  I often feel that it is the politics of church that Satan uses most to discourage those within the church and to hinder those on the outside from embracing God.  Then, all of a sudden it was like I'd been hit in the face with a ton of bricks...my counterpart has to be God, NOT tools that God uses.  I needed to confess my own inability to recognize my Real Slim Shady.  It is often more comfortable to put our trust in the work rather than  the development the relationship, it is easier to control the means rather than rely on the meaning, and often times harder to keep the focus on the Giver without trying to  not to manipulate the gift.

So, may I have your attention please?  Jesus is all that is needed to complete me!

No comments:

Post a Comment